The 2017 FASNY Legislative Agenda
- EXPANDED CANCER IMPAIRMENT – Provides a rebuttable presumption that several types of cancer are covered under the VFBL and VAWBL.
Corresponding legislation: S.1411 (Griffo) / A.711 (Gunther)
- THE FAIR PLAY AMBULANCE COST RECOVERY FOR FIRE DEPARTMENTS – Allows fire departments to bill for ambulance services to even the playing field with all other ambulance providers across the state.
Corresponding legislation: S.363 (Little)
- AMEND PENAL CODE TO ADD ENDANGERING THE WELFARE OF A FIRE AND EMERGENCY PERSONNEL – Make it a crime to illegally circumvent uniform code by making illegal conversions a charge of “Endangering the welfare of a fire and emergency personnel.” Landlords make conversions so they can make more money off the properties without obtaining proper permits. The conversions may not have proper egress and could create an extremely dangerous situation for firefighters.
Corresponding legislation: S773 (Carlucci) / A.1691 (Zebrowski)
- VFBL/VAWBL REFORM WITH COST OF LIVING – Increases VFBL/VAWBL temporary disability benefit levels based on cost of living, not to exceed $800 per week.
Corresponding legislation: TBA
- UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE FIRE SAFETY STANDARDS – Enhances fire safety standards for upholstered furniture by conducting a study of methods that do not require the use of fire retardant chemicals.
Corresponding legislation: S.742 (Ritchie)
- REQUIRES PROMPT PAYMENT OF VFBL DEATH BENEFIT – This proposal establishes that the payment of certain volunteer firefighter and volunteer ambulance worker death benefits shall be within 90 days of the filing of an application to receive such death benefit.
Corresponding legislation: S.1195(Avella) / A.1451 (Cahill)
- REOCCURING NYS BUDGET MONITORING –
- Monitor 2017-18 Budget negotiations to ensure adequate/consistent funding allocations are met for 911 coordination purposes, emergency services low-interest revolving loans, training funding under the OFPC and funding for training books.
- Increase in the tax credit from $200 to $300.
- Introduce sales tax exemption for life safety items.
Issues of United Concern
- Expanded Cancer Coverage – Provides a rebuttable presumption that several types of cancer are covered under the VFBL and VAWBL.
- Fair Play Ambulance Cost Recovery for Fire Departments – Allows fire departments to bill for ambulance services to even the playing field with all other ambulance providers across the state.
- Illegal Building Conversions – The IUC supports the continuation of discussions and cooperation with the New York Department of State and the New York State Office of Fire Prevention Control to address the issue of illegal building conversions. These conversions endanger residents of the illegally converted buildings and firefighters. The IUC further supports any regulatory or legislative initiatives that result from these discussions.
- VFBL/VAWBL Increase – Provides for an increase in VFBL/VAWBL temporary total disability benefit levels from $400 to $650 per week for those volunteer firefighters or ambulance workers injured after July 1, 2017.
- Fire Apparatus Lemon Law – Provides that Fire and EMS vehicles and apparatus be included under the New York State Lemon Law.
- Upholstered Furniture Fire Safety Standards – Enhances fire safety standards for upholstered furniture by methods that do not require the use of cancer-causing fire retardants.
- Additional Funding for Firefighter 1 Training – The IUC supports inclusion of additional funding in the 2017-18 New York State Budget to support the Office of Fire Prevention Control’s ability to provide more blended Firefighter 1 training using modern technologies. This funding will further enhance the ability of municipalities to recruit volunteer firefighters.