The Firemen’s Association of the State of New York will award 25 $1,500 scholarships to high school seniors entering college.
The awards recognize exemplary members of the youth fire service who also contribute to their communities.
The Gerard J. Buckenmeyer FASNY Volunteer Scholarship program is made possible each June through the generous donations of individuals, fire departments and auxiliaries. This year, Provident Agency Inc., the provider of the accidental death and dismemberment insurance for FASNY members, has again provided major underwriting support to help FASNY award scholarships to young volunteers. FASNY would also like to recognize the in-kind support donated by McNeil and Co., which provides more than 80 hours of administrative work needed to process the applications and awards.
Applications must be received by March 15, 2019.
Scholarships will be awarded directly to the student winner. Each applicant will have each section of their application judged on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest. Winners will be notified by mail and names will be posted at www.fasny.com on or before June 1, 2019.
- Be a member in good standing with FASNY or have a parent/legal guardian who is a member.
- Attend high school as a senior who is enrolled in the fall 2018 school year at an accredited two- or four-year institution of higher learning or an accredited technical post-secondary school.
- Serve as a current Junior firefighter, Explorer Scout or RAM in a group affiliated with a volunteer department; a volunteer firefighter; or a volunteer with an EMS unit.
- Demonstrate a commitment to both volunteer emergency service and the community.
Requirements (Please submit with application):
- A résumé
- Two letters of recommendation: one (1) from a community leader and one (1) from a high school official (e.g. administrator, guidance counselor, athletic director)
- A certification of acceptance from the institution of higher learning
- A one-page essay written on the subject “How My Community Involvement in the Fire Service Has Affected My Life”
- A complete description of extracurricular activities (any supporting materials such as newspaper articles may be included as well)
- Once selected, the recipient of this scholarship MUST submit a digital photo to be used in FASNY’s promotional materials, including – but not limited to – The Volunteer Firefighter magazine, press releases, monthly electronic communications and web/social media sites. Click here for photo submission guidelines.
Questions should be directed to:
Brian F. McQueen, Chairman
Scholarship Advisory Committee
NOTE: All decisions concerning the selection of scholarship recipients are made by the FASNY Scholarship Advisory Committee. The Scholarship Advisory Committee is made up of current and past members of the Executive Committee of FASNY appointed by the President. In addition, there will be at least three individuals selected who are not affiliated with FASNY. The Scholarship Advisory Committee makes the final selection and awards the scholarship to the individuals it selects.
2018 Award Winners
FASNY Scholarship Awards Committee have announced the winners of the 2018 Gerard J. Buckenmeyer FASNY Volunteer Scholarship.
Kevin Becker – Manhasset, NY
Tori Ambrosi – Whitesboro, NY
Brian Femminella – Nesconset, NY
Joy Armstrong – Rome, NY
Sean Immel – Merrick, NY
Robert Ungar – Honeoye, NY
Thomas Weinert – Circleville, NY
Jacob Meester – Lagrangeville, NY
Bethany Williams – Oriskany Falls, NY
Sean Sulton – Smithtown, NY
Taylor Milkiewicz – West Sand Lake, NY
Dana VanValkenburg – Bergen, NY
Connor McCagg – Hudson, NY
Patrick Ethier – Watervliet, NY
Justin Bailey – Liverpool, NY
Jacob Speyer – Strykersville, NY
Amanda Pizzo – Commack, NY
Sara Ferraro – West Nyack, NY
Peter Burritt – Poland, NY
Benjamin Vanderpool – Sauquoit, NY
Jourdan Howard – Holland Patent, NY
Abigail Sauer – Churchville, NY
Thomas May – Rochester, NY
Blake Guzy – Cooperstown, NY
Colin Nally – Endicott, NY