FIREMEN’S ASSOCIATION OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK LEGISLATIVE PROGRAM 2018
- UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE FIRE SAFETY STANDARDS – Establishes a prohibition on the sale and distribution of new upholstered furniture containing certain flame-retardant chemicals. Corresponding legislation:
- AMEND PENAL CODE TO ADD ENDANGERING THE WELFARE OF A FIRE AND EMERGENCY PERSONNEL – Make it a crime to illegally circumvent uniform code by making illegal conversions a charge of “Endangering the welfare of a fire and emergency personnel.” Landlords make conversions so they can make more money off the properties without obtaining proper permits. The conversions may not have proper egress and could create an extremely dangerous situation for firefighters. Corresponding legislation:
- VFBL/VAWBL INCREASE – Increases VFBL/VAWBL partial permanent disability benefit level from $400 to $650 per week. Corresponding legislation
- THE FAIR PLAY AMBULANCE COST RECOVERY FOR FIRE DEPARTMENTS – Allows fire departments to bill for ambulance services to even the playing field with all other ambulance providers across the state. Corresponding legislation:
- REQUIRES PROMPT PAYMENT OF VFBL DEATH BENEFIT – This proposal establishes the payment of certain volunteer firefighter and volunteer ambulance worker death benefits shall be within ninety days of the filing of application to receive such death benefit. Corresponding legislation:
- SALES TAX EXEMPTION FOR HOME LIFE SAFETY PRODUCTS – Propose exemption of sales tax on smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers as an incentive for purchasing these household items. Corresponding legislation:
- SCHOOL FIRE INSPECTIONS – Propose modernization of the process of conducting fire inspection reports for schools.
- LEMON LAW FOR FIRE APPARATUS – Provides that fire and EMS vehicles and apparatus be included under the New York State Lemon Law.
- REOCCURING NYS BUDGET MONITORING – Monitor 2017-18 Budget negotiations to ensure adequate/consistent funding allocations are met for 911 coordination purposes, Emergency Services Low Interest Revolving Loans, Training Funding under the OFPC, and funding for training books. Increase in the tax credit from $200 to $300.
Download the 2018 Agenda